Summer is officially over (as of Sept 22) and it is on to Fall and the quickly approaching Holiday season. We finished out our summer with trips to the zoo, biking in Grand Teton National Park, a visit to the Eastern Idaho State Fair, a going away party for a friend who is deploying to Iraq, a symphony concert in the park, and a visit from Grandma and Grandpa S. I also entered the 2nd trimester of pregnancy and learned that we are having another boy! We are excited for this boy and can't wait to see how he compliments our family.
Here is a picture from the fair. We went the first day and it was hot and crowded. We enjoyed seeing all the animals, walking around and eating some "fair food." We didn't make it over to the rides, we all started to get a little annoyed by the heat and crowds. Emmett enjoyed the kids area with the bubble machines.
Jim's parents came to visit us this past weekend. We worked on projects around the house, hiked to the wind cave and started celebrating Emmett's birthday. Jim and I have done the hike a couple times before, but this was our first time to do it so late in the year. The colors were beautiful and it was the longest hike Emmett has been on. He walked more than I was expecting and was hauled in the backpack carrier as well.
Grandma and Grandpa S. made Emmett a train table for his birthday. He got to pull a sheet off of it and then help them assemble it.
Emmett was excited to get his tracks up off the floor and hammer the "nails" into the side.
My brother was (still is) very into trains and so my mom sent some train stuff that she had from him and her pre-school teaching days. Here's Emmett in an Amtrak hat with some train cut-outs. He also got my brother's old train whistle which sounds amazingly like a train!
We are still in the process of opening presents. Emmett wants to play with each one as soon as he opens it. He has been so excited about the new toys! Wednesday night we let him open a couple and one of them was a wooden Thomas engine. The last 2 nights there have been many tears when we put Thomas to "bed" downstairs, separating boy from train. Emmett has been going down to the basement every spare moment to play with Thomas and his train table. It's amazing how occupied it keeps him. Little does he know that there are 3 more engines to open and a "lights and sounds" railroad crossing.
Opening "Thomas"
I decided to make Emmett a train cake. I don't really enjoy baking that much, but I kept finding pictures of cute train cakes, and with the marshmallow fondant recipe I had from making Jim's camera cake I just couldn't resist. I wish I had had more time and energy to devote to it, but it just got eaten anyways, so oh well. Emmett thought it was pretty cool, so that is what matters.
We had Emmett's birthday dinner at Red Robin, just like last year. Many of our friends were able to join us, and they are all special people to Emmett so that was fun. They allowed us to bring our cake in with us and have a good children's menu, fun balloons, singing to the birthday boy and a free ice cream sundae. Who could ask for more?!
No comments:
Post a Comment