Saturday, February 4, 2012

Emmett's first time downhill skiing (Guest Post by Jim)

On Saturday, Elise hosted a baby shower, so Jim and Emmett headed to the mountain for Emmett's first time downhill skiing. Several weeks ago we found an awesome deal on ski boots for him and rounded out the package with some 67cm skis off of ebay.
It was sure to be long day when 20 minutes into the 1hr 40 min drive to Grand Targhee, Emmett was asking if "we'll be there soon".

It was a beautiful bluebird day at The 'ghee.
We did about 3 runs before lunch. Emmett did great! He really caught on fast and didn't even fall getting on or off the "magic carpet".
We ate lunch at about 1:30 which is usually about when Emmett takes his nap (Jim's is usually at about 4:30), so he was pretty tired. We did manage to get a few more runs in.
Before lunch I had Emmett make a pizza slice with his skis and just kept him between my own skis. This worked well and I could hold onto the handle on his ski harness to keep him from falling. After lunch I got out the leashes and skied behind Emmett. He fell a few times but still did great. I didn't get any pictures of the actual skiing, because I was a little busy keeping him upright and going down the hill.


We left at about 2:15 and I know Emmett was exhausted. The conversation in the car on the way home went like this:
Emmett: how much longer until we get home.
Jim: about 15-20 minutes, why?
Emmett: I miss Ezra
Emmett: ... and I miss Mom too.
Some how he made it all the way home without falling asleep. It was a long day, but in a good way!

1 comment:

Grandma S said...

Wow! That is really impressive! Emmett, you are such a whiz on the slopes! Sounds like a really fun day!