Tuesday, June 1, 2021

April and May 2021

April continued with lots of soccer.  We also got new carpet in our living room, stairs and entire upstairs (all the bedrooms).  This was a big job for us because it meant moving tons of furniture.  The install took two days and they did the living room, stairs, landing and Emmett's room the first day (a Friday).  Over the weekend we moved all the stuff from the other two bedrooms into Emmett's room (or downstairs) and then Monday they finished.  Jim took all the beds apart, moving dressers required all the drawers to be taken out, and Emmett and I helped with the heavy lifting.  It forced us to go through lots of things and I took four boxes of things to give away.  Next the upstairs bathrooms will be getting new hard flooring (mid-June), new toilets, and then we may be re-doing some tile surrounds in showers and baths.   


Our yard has been really pretty this Spring.  Jim and I planted some more tulip and daffodil bulbs last fall and we got tons of violas that came back.  Jim had to work some extra including over a weekend so I enlisted Emmett to help mow.

Soccer is mainly over for the season.  Elliott's team was un-defeated and he was one of the youngest on the team.  He still likes soccer, but would like to try some more sports too.  Ezra's team did really well together, lots of improvement.  Ezra is excellent, he is so good at going to ball and doesn't get intimidated by bigger players.  He can dribble up the field with great footwork and also has a strong kick for goal scoring.  Emmett's team made improvements and had some fun wins.  They seemed to be in too hard of a bracket (the top U14 bracket when we were a strictly U13 team).  Emmett will be playing in at least 2 tournaments this summer.  Emmett did really well and had a couple header goals which he is especially proud of.
Ezra's team (he's 2nd from left)...super rainy last game.

Emmett's team (2nd player from top right)





Ezra has participated in some 4th grade traditions in the last few weeks.  They had a Rendezvous where they got to dress in cowboy or Native American costume and do lots of fun activities.  They made tin punch ornaments, made butter, played marbles and jacks, made a button spinner, and made a leather embossed bracelet.

The 4th grade also put on the musical production Go West.  Ezra had the same part that Emmett did two years ago, the horse that races the train.  As part of their Westward Expansion unit he also chose a project and made a covered wagon.  Jim helped him, even gathering willow branches and soaking them to bend for the frame of the covering.  



My birthday was on a Wednesday and I worked.  One of my sweet co-workers brought a rose and a cookie cake.  I had arranged to take a long lunch that day to attend Emmett's 6th grade track meet.  It was a little chilly, but not terrible.  Emmett had been really excited about the track meet and the 6th grade teachers from his school run the whole thing each year.  For a couple months before they get the kids ready and excited and help each kid pick three events to do based on their talents.  Emmett ended up doing the 100m, long jump, and 4x100m relay.  I missed his first jump and first heat of his 100m, but I got to see everything else and was there to hear him announced as the winner of all of his events!  I got to send Jim the results as we heard them and give Emmett a big hug.  

I went back to work and had a pretty good day.  The kids had early release and ended up going over to a friend's house.  They all snuck back in the house (caught on camera) and my friend Amy and her kids and my kids decorated with streamers, balloons, and signs and she had made birthday treats!  I felt pretty spoiled.  Jim came home early and got Elliott from daycare and got all the boys to the field for Emmett's last regular season game.  I met them there and Emmett's team won.  We got rained on pretty hard at half time, but dried out in the second half.  Emmett said he won all his events that day as my gift.  We went to Reed's Dairy for grilled cheese, tomato soup and ice cream, a great birthday dinner and then went home to open presents.  
Petting the baby cows at Reed's Dairy




No comments: