The day started at 4:50am when the alarm went off. Elise called the hospital to see what time we should come in to be induced. Originally the induction was scheduled for the 9th but the Dr. was going out of town then so it was moved up a week.
The hospital said to come in around 7am so that meant leaving at 6:15 to take Emmett to the Topliff's house. (Thank you Topliff's for watching Emmett!).
We arrived at the hospital at 7:00 and got settled into the delivery room. The nurse put an IV in and then at about 7:50 started a small dose of pitocion. We pretty much sat around and watched TV, read the newspaper and , started wacthing "Did you hear about the Morgans?" on Netflix.
Jim went and got some lunch at 11 and the Dr. came in at 11:30 and broke Elise's water. Some hefty pain management came at 12:50 with an epidural followed by a bit more pitocin at 1:00.
An hour and 25 minutes later Elise was ready to push but the Dr. was elswhere in the hospital. After several phone calls and an overhead page by the nurses, five long minutes passed before the Dr. arrived. Ezra was born 14 minutes later.



He is a great little nurser and that brought his blood sugar back into the acceptable range. So Jim went and gave him a bath while I fed my "I just delivered a baby" appetite. I remember how hungry I was after Emmett was born and it has been no different this time. The on call pediatrician did his assessment and Ezra passed with flying colors. Soon after that Elizabeth arrived with Emmett and her little one, Titus. It was crazy to see the difference that 6 months makes as Titus just turned 6 months old. Emmett was VERY excited to see his brother and had a great reaction. It will be a long and interesting journey to figure out how to give each of them the attention they need, but it will be so fun too.
Jim took Emmett home to sleep. I think he was a little over-excited and over-tired, so he didn't sleep great. I had Ezra stay in my room and he slept great! I rested as best I could with the many interruptions and my own over-excitement. This morning our regular pediatrician checked Ezra and he had gained 3 oz already since birth! Usually babies lose weight so this surprised us all. He really does have the nursing thing down and I feel so relaxed this time. Because I was GBS positive we have to stay in the hospital for 48 hours, so we are taking advantage of the good care and wireless internet and just hanging out. I am feeling really good, just sore. We get a "Stork" dinner tonight which is their "fancy" dinner for new parents. We are planning to go home tomorrow, probably early afternoon and we'll have a long weekend as a family. Ezra will probably go to the pediatrician Monday for another check and my mom will get in Monday night to help out and enjoy some baby snuggling and fun toddler times!
Thank you God for Ezra and his safe arrival, we feel so BLESSED!
3 comments:
So excited for you Elise! Congratulations!
Yes, I agree, PTL for Ezra, a healthy, beautiful little boy!
yeah for babies! We loved having Emmett. Anytime. Just call, the boys had so much fun!
Post a Comment