Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Getting Ready for Christmas

Here's a look at what we've been doing. I did a ton of baking this year and that is what I used for co-worker and neighbor gifts. I made gingerbread men, chocolate chip peppermint meringue cookies, triple layer dark chocolate mint fudge and chocolate raspberry truffles.



My parents and brother came to visit for Christmas. They got here Tuesday evening and we had a great time getting things ready for Christmas together. I switched my day off and worked Tuesday so I could have Wednesday off. Wednesday we went to Costco in the morning and then my dad and I finished the rest of the grocery shopping in the afternoon. Wednesday was also our 9 year wedding anniversary. We had a handy dandy built in babysitting team, so we went out for a nice dinner and went to a movie.


Thursday both Jim and I had to work so the boys got to stay home and play. My parents got to come to my work in the afternoon and I did a "screening" ultrasound to check for a few health conditions. They both looked pretty good, so they were happy about that.

Friday we tried to go to the library but it was closed so we went to the museum instead. They had a Christmas exhibit. There were all kinds of old fashioned Christmas decorations, a room full of gingerbread buildings (many that were made to look like buildings in our city) and a huge collection of nativity scenes.
Saturday was Christmas Eve, we delivered gifts to our neighbors, went on a walk and did some sledding. There was barely any snow, but it was packed down on the hill and perfect for sledding. Emmett went by himself a couple times, then he let us take turns joining him.

First my mom went with him, Emmett got progressively more excited with each run. He got really fired up when my dad went with him.




We couldn't convince my brother to go down, so I went down with Ezra and Emmett. By then it was old hat for Emmett.

We went to an early Christmas Eve service at church. It was really crowded (we had to split up to find seats), but really well done. When we got home we let Emmett open one gift. He got play dishes, cookware and really cute homemade felt food from Jim's parents. He was really excited and had fun making us things to eat.


I made mexican food for dinner. I really enjoy cooking interesting things for people who like eating interesting things and especially when those people enjoy keeping my kids occupied while I cook...my parents met both criteria. So we had all kinds of good food while they were here.

3 comments:

Mom S said...

The sledding looks like SO much fun ! Fun to see Ezra standing, too! Glad Emmett likes the felt food. Once I got started, it was really fun to make.

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE Emmett's face in the pictures! We miss you guys. Gideon is especially missing Emmett and I need to set up Skype so we can have a Skype event for the boys :)

Andrew and Olivia said...

Happy Anniversary! I had forgotten you got married almost exactly a year before us. I remember how excited we both were to be planning our weddings :)I love the picture of you and the snow. I've been meaning to ask you if you like you sling carrier I saw in an old post. I love my Moby wrap but Owen has reflux and will spit up right down the front of my shirt if I use it. i thought it might be better to try one were he is laying a little more to the side.