Sunday, February 13, 2011

Helping, testing, falling

We haven't been taking many pictures lately, so there hasn't been very good content for a blog. Emmett continues to be an awesome toddler and has started to want to "help" in the kitchen. The one task that we've identified for him to do is put the silverware away from the dishwasher. He does a great job, but sometimes he tells me he is too busy to help me. He also takes cardboard, cans and plastics to our little recycing center in the laundry room. A few weeks ago when he wanted to help me make dinner I had him tear the washed lettuce into "bit size pieces" for the salad. In order to do this he put each piece that he tore into his mouth and then into the bowl. Jim and I were laughing so hard we couldn't stop him.
On January 29th I took the ARDMS Breast Registry and passed. Every few years I feel the need to study for a big test, but there's not much left for me to do now. It gave me 15 CME credits which is a great start as I just started a new 3 year period in which I need 30 CMEs. It also means I'm the only ARDMS registered Breast Sonographer in town.
The following Tuesday on my way into BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) I slipped and fell on the ice. The temperature was hovering around 0 and the windchill was way below so I was carrying Emmett and we were in a big hurry to get in the building. I sort of tossed Emmett into a pile of snow and did my best to not fall forwards (protecting the belly). In the process my right leg folded quite akwardly underneath me and I wasn't sure at first how I was going to get up with the incredible pain in my leg. No one was around to witness this slightly embarassing spectacle, but that also meant no one could help us and it was so cold that I wanted to get inside as soon as possible. So I gritted my teeth and made sure Emmett was ok (he was just cold and scared) and we limped in and I sort of sat through BSF in shock. I was able to limp around the rest of the day, but the next day my leg felt worse so ended up getting x-rays and seeing an orthopedic doctor. The doctor thinks I have a torn lateral meniscus, which they fix with surgery. The only way to know for sure is from a MRI and my knee has continued to feel better each day, so I'm waiting until after the baby is born to deal with all that.
That Friday (Feb 4) I had a scheduled OB appointment and I started having some early labor type symptoms. When I saw the doctor she was a bit concerned and had me get an ultrasound, put me on Nifedapine to relax my uterus and asked me to be a couch potato for a few days. My ultrasound was good, baby boy was about 6lbs and has continued to be way too active (a good thing). So the fall was probably responsible for the early labor. I got to attend a women's prayer conference at church and I was very blessed by a baby shower that Saturday. I decided that counted as being a couch potato more than being at home and I had a great time.


We took this picture today, I'm one day shy of 37 weeks. While I'm sort of hoping to have this baby a day or two after my due date, we're feeling pretty ready now and I'm getting big enough to slow me down. I guess as long as I'm still sleeping well I can wait, because I know after the baby is born sleeping is a long forgotton comodity.

No comments: